"If you really want to be happy, no one can stop you"

Saturday, September 1, 2012

"Deja Vu" and a Lecture on Algorithms

So the summer is over and I am back at school at USC!! To say it was a fruitful summer would be stating the obvious. I thoroughly loved my work and learned a lot during my stint.

Anyhow, last week I attended a lecture on algorithms - the Prof. discussed the concept of stable matching. While explaining the algorithm, he described a very real situation that lead to a fascinating sort of "Deja Vu".
He took up an example that said a person will leave  his current internship to move to a position he feels is better for him - say leaving a start-up not doing what he wants to do and joining Bill Clinton when he asks for him (bigshot example) :D . This leads to a new vacancy at that start-up which is filled by some else who leaves a lower preferred job to take up this one. So we don't have a stable matching.

So where's the "Deja Vu" - well I remember wanting to come to study here when all my close friends were seemingly going towards US, I followed them here. I use to keep a photo of us Awesome Foursome to remind me of them at all times. Whilst in India, I became a part of another fantastic set of us four friends, Ze Gang :D Now three of us here and the fourth one is contemplating joining us and use our photo as motivation. Life can be quite amazing!!!

And yes yes this isn't really a Deja Vu but that's why I used the quotes - hopefully correctly like Joey only once did with Ross :D (I think I watched too much Friends during my stay in the Bay Area :p )

No comments:

Post a Comment