"If you really want to be happy, no one can stop you"

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Of Resigning

The last two days have been particularly emotional - they have contained both unparalleled elation and a weird sad feeling as well. I received my first admit on Tuesday night, it was from McGill University, Canada. How did it feel? Suffice to say I simply to leapt from my chair on reading the email :D :D It took me two minutes to figure out where my chappal had fallen :P

The admit was particularly sweet as it had come on a day that epitomised the bad parts of my office life - lack of job satisfaction and my anger at some people. The day had made me contemplate resigning and the admit seemed to be sign from God that This is it. So, despite parental advise to the contrary I went ahead and resigned yesterday - suiting up for the process :)

My admit and consequential resignation made it quite a joyful day in the morning - I received bear hugs (PS, RN, AM & HS), delighted side-hugs (AK & GO), the broadest smiles ever (AK & PS), the happy grins (GO, NB & SR) and a pair of thumping High Tens (NB) :D (Missed AS though, who was on leave :( ) But what gave it a weird feeling was the tears my exit brought to SG. It felt great that I had touched someone´s life so deeply that they were sad to see me go but I was really sad that she was crying :(

The weird feeling was accentuated in the afternoon when NB came to talk after she had received her last date. She seemed to be overcome by the emotion of leaving and gazed longingly at the office. It set me thinking too and made me realise what I would be missing in a little while. It made me do something I have wanted to do for seemingly ages - I hope it happens. AM saw the sadness mid-day and wondered what was wrong. I couldnt tell him. I have been waiting for an admit and my resignation for nearly 8 months and now it was here and I was struggling to be happy. By the end of the day, the happiness was still not back and the weirdness had set in.

I was speaking to DJ in the cab and the discussion steered towards superpowers at her attempts to blow up the traffic in front of us with her non-existent laser eyesight :P I said I would like the superpower to be happy all the time - that was only the second time I gave a thoughtful  answer to any such thing - something is seriously wrong with me :P (My two answers have been inspired by AK & GO)

As I write this it is early morning on Thursday, beginning of four days off from work, the weirdness is still there and it is expected to give way to sadness in the coming days and anxiety thereafter... Let´s see how it goes :) 

3 comments:

  1. the apt title of the post would have been .. of endings ans new beginnings...

    every end is the start of something new.. and every new is the end of something old..

    enjoy the weirdness of life and congratulations..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a weird feeling for all of us ya :( we will miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Abhishek - I guess I wasnt looking at the beginning part of then.. It should be visible when I actually leave the place .. And thanks once again :)

    @Pankaj - I will miss you too yar - a little less if you also come to North America next yr :)

    ReplyDelete